The online video giant YouTube announced a total ban on any new videos questioning the the outcome of the 2020 election on Wednesday.
The move comes in the wake of the so-called ‘safe harbor deadline’ for states to legally certify their voting totals having passed.
It seems that even legitimate concerns about the integrity of the election, including those raised by ongoing litigation will now be banned from discussion under the new rule.
As The Daily Wire reports:
YouTube announced its updated policy on Wednesday morning on its blog. The platform said that any video containing assertions that the 2020 election outcome was changed by “widespread fraud or errors” would get booted from the site unless “sufficient” context is provided.
“Yesterday was the safe harbor deadline for the U.S. Presidential election and enough states have certified their election results to determine a President-elect. Given that, we will start removing any piece of content uploaded today (or anytime after) that misleads people by alleging that widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. Presidential election, in line with our approach towards historical U.S. Presidential elections,” YouTube said in a blog post (excerpt below). “For example, we will remove videos claiming that a Presidential candidate won the election due to widespread software glitches or counting errors. We will begin enforcing this policy today, and will ramp up in the weeks to come. As always, news coverage and commentary on these issues can remain on our site if there’s sufficient education, documentary, scientific or artistic context.”
YouTube’s decision to censor content that suggests the election was fraudulently won comes as legal challenges over the election results are still working through the courts. The Trump campaign filed an extensive challenge to Georgia’s election results last week, pointing out enough instances of alleged fraud that the suit could overturn the presidential election in the state.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed a lawsuit in the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday against the battleground states of Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin arguing that the states should be blocked from voting in the electoral college over alleged violations of election law. The court ordered the defendants to respond by Thursday. President Trump announced on Wednesday morning that the Trump administration would be joining the suit in support of Texas.
These are editorial guidelines
Time to start suing Youtube as they are now issuing direct guidance on what you can publish outside what is prescribed in Section 230 https://t.co/2TTPVEc0ng
— Tim Pool (@Timcast) December 9, 2020
Holy shit just got this email from YouTube.
Starting today they will remove content about election fraud…even though there are court cases about election fraud going through the system at this very moment.
Adios free speech. The bannings are coming. pic.twitter.com/UqlVOSAdR6
— Dave Rubin (@RubinReport) December 9, 2020