Canada has announced that the government will no longer pay for the security of Meghan Markle and Harry.
According to Fox News:
Canadian officials Thursday said the government will no longer provide security to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after March, when the couple transitions from being active members of the royal family, according to a report.
Public Safety Minister Bill Blair told the CBC the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have provided the royal couple and their 9-month-old son Archie “intermittent” security since November at the request of London’s Metropolitan Police.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to relocate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances,” Blair said. “The RCMP has been engaged with officials in the U.K. from the very beginning regarding security considerations.”
A majority of Canadians say that the couple should pay for their own security, The Washington Post reported.
The couple reportedly bought a $14 million home in Vancouver last month and have been spending the majority of their time there.