The report has stated that the Oscars is now considering having the show continue host-less.
The announcement last week that Kevin Hart would be the host of the next Oscars was followed about 48 hours later by the comedian's announcement that he was bowing out after the Academy gave him an ultimatum: apologize for past tweets and jokes offensive to the LGBT community or lose your hosting gig. Now, the Academy is reportedly "freaking out" about how exactly to replace him.
According to Variety's inside sources, Hart's abrupt resignation "blindsided" the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences and left its leadership "scrambling to find someone to take the gig." So far, they've got no clue who it's going to be, and are even considering going host-less, said the sources.
The Board of Governors plans to meet Tuesday night to discuss where to go from here, but, Variety's sources suggest, the general mood is full crisis mode. "They're freaking out," a "top comedy agent" told the outlet.
"There were no contingency plans in place by the Academy or broadcaster ABC, according to another insider," Variety reports. "The show’s producers are back to square one."