NFL Quarterback’s Sudden Missing Status Raises Concerns Due To Past Struggles With Depression.
Matt Corral’s Absence
- The New England Patriots listed Matt Corral on the exempt/left squad list on Saturday. This move came shortly after he had been signed, following his previous release by the Panthers during the preseason.
- Corral was initially anticipated to be the backup QB for starter Mac Jones in the Week 1 game against the Eagles, but this status has changed.
- Reports from Boston Sports Journal’s Greg Bedard indicate that Corral was untraceable after Thursday’s practice, missing Friday’s session for non-injury reasons. Coach Bill Belichick confirmed on WEEI radio that they’ve reached out to Corral, refraining from providing further details, labeling it as a “personal matter.”
Fears Over Corral’s Absence
- It is noteworthy that Corral has previously spoken about his struggles with depression, particularly during his 2019 season as the starting QB at Ole Miss.
- Fans took to social media to share their concerns over Corral’s mental health.
Update: #Patriots placed QB Matt Corral on the reserve/left squad list after Corral went missing and hasn't showed up to Gillette Stadium the past two days for meetings, practice or walkthrough a source tells @jeffphowe
The Pats are reportedly working to determine his future on… pic.twitter.com/qTPax7OH39
— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) September 10, 2023
Patriots QB Matt Corral Has Been Missing From Team For Days
🙏 he is found safely!! https://t.co/lE9pSFpTSR
— JrzGirl Amie 🌻🟦 (@GirlJrz) September 10, 2023
Matt Corral went missing for multiple days and the team is concerned about his health https://t.co/7f3JIqfn5z
— Brotips (@brotips) September 10, 2023
Understanding the Exempt/Left Squad List
- This list caters to players not physically present with their team.
- Listing a player here removes them from the main 53-man roster but doesn’t necessitate their release.
- Corral retains the ability to rejoin the Patriots at any time and remains protected from being signed by another team.
Patriots QB Overview
- Patriots’ current QB hierarchy:
- Mac Jones (starter)
- Bailey Zappe
- Malik Cunningham (practice squad)
- Matt Corral (exempt/left squad list)
- Mac Jones continues as the primary QB, now under the direction of new offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien. With Corral’s departure from the active roster, Zappe stepped up as Jones’ backup during Sunday’s game.